Continuing Education Units
Automatic Extinguishing Systems Certified Fire Sprinkler Fitter Continuing Education Unit Questions and Answers
This document is to help assist with the certified
fire sprinkler fitter continuing education renewal
A Certified Fire Sprinkler Fitter shall complete (3) Units
which equals 30 hours of continuing education units
(CEU’S) per (3) three-year period.
Ten (10) hours of participation in an Office of the State Fire
Marshal approved continuing education unit class is equal
to 1 CEU. A class may not be re-submitted in a (3) year
All Sprinkler Fitter related courses will be accepted starting
from July 1, 2017, until June 30, 2022, from the first date of
*Nationally recognized certified trainer = A current approved provider on the Office of the State Fire Marshal provider list or an accredited institution, which is a community college, junior college, university, technical or vocational school, or any private educational agency accredited by the American National Standards Institute /International Association of Continuing Education and Training (ANSI/IACET).
3Q. How do I know when I must turn in my CEU certificates?
3A. At every 3rd year of renewal. An extension was given to fire sprinkler certified fitters per IB 20-006. https://osfm.fire.ca.gov/media/5izggczi/ib_20-006_pipefitters_cert.pdf
Govmotus will email a reminder to all certified fire sprinkler fitters to the email account on file.
4Q. What if I don’t have all my hours completed before my renewal? Is there a penalty?
4A. The certified sprinkler fitter cannot renew until all CEU’S are completed and all fees are paid.
5Q. Where is the list of approved CEU courses?
5A. The approved CEU courses are listed on the Office of the State Fire
Marshal Automatic Extinguishing Systems Continuing Education Unit
Providers https://osfm.fire.ca.gov/media/drujhzmj/continuing-education-unit-approved-provider-list-rev- 11-2021.pdf
6Q. Do Multi-Family fitters have to get the same amount of CEU’s as commercial fitters? 6A. Yes
7Q. I took the OSHA 10 and 30 courses, but it was not through a provider on
the approved provider list. Can I count that towards my required CEU’s?
7A. Yes, the course must have been taken through a nationally recognized
certified trainer no earlier than the first date of your sprinkler fitter certification/license.
8Q. I took a class through one of the approved providers a few years ago
before they were on the approved provider list, does that still count?
8A. Yes, the course must have been taken through a nationally recognized
certified trainer no earlier than the first date of your sprinkler fitter
9Q. How do I know how many credits each of the courses on the approved
provider list are worth?
9A. You shall contact the provider with the course name to find out the number of unit(s).
10Q. What is the latest date someone can take a registered CEU class, and
have it count for this current cycle?
10A. If the class is completed no later than June 30th, the certified fire sprinkler fitter can upload the class on June 30th by the expiration date and still be compliant, however if the class is taken after June 30th the renewal will be subject to renewal and late fees.
March 1st- Renewal email notices sent (Sprinkler Fitter can now renew online) May 1st- Renewal Considered Late (Late fee will apply)
July 1st- Renewal Expired
All Registrations and Certifications for all sprinkler fitter levels are valid from time of issuance to June 30th
Google Chrome works best
How to submit a Renewal
You may now go online to renew your Sprinkler Fitter License. https://calfire.govmotus.org/
If you sign in and do not see the application listed under “License”, this means you are logging in with a different email address than GovMotus has on file. Log in using the email address you received the expiration notice to.
If you have never logged into Govmotus you will need to register.
There are two ways to Renew
- 1. Log into Govmotus using the email address you received the expiration notice to.
- 2. Once signed into the GovMotus system, on the Dashboard look for
- a. Look at the top of the screen for the “Licensing” Button. Click the button and press “Renew License Request”
- i. Enter the Program: Automatic Extinguishing
- ii. Category: Sprinkler Fitter
- iii. Type: Sprinkler Fitter, Apprentice, Trainee
- iv. License Number
- b. On the Dashboard, click on the application “License Number” that shows the “Issued”
- i. Your license application page will open, on the left side under “Control Panel” click “Manage License”
- ii. Click “Renew Application”
- 3. Ensure all your personal information is correct
- 4. Upload all acceptable CEU documents
- 5. Sign the application
- 6. Press “Submit”
- 7. The State Fire Marshal Office will need to approve your application at this point
- 8. Allow 5-7 business days for the CALFIRE Attendant to “Accept” the license
- 9. After the application for renewal is accepted log back in Govmotus and open the “Accepted” application
- 10.On the left side under “Control Panel” click “Make Payment”
- 11. Follow the prompts that will allow you to submit payment via credit/debit card
- 12. Allow 5-7 business days for approval and issuance
If you choose to pay by check, after the “Make Payment” download a PDF copy of the “Payment Notice.” Mail the “Payment Notice” and the check/money order to the P.O Box address listed on the form. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the license to be processed after the check has been cashed.
If the payment is submitted without the Payment Notice, the check or money order will be mailed back and there may be a late fee applied if submitted after May 1st.